Thursday, February 27, 2020

An Oil Painting and ...

Here is the painting I've been working on for the past week. It is painted in oils ... wait!

Not 


-Engine oil


or Olive Oil

But
Oil Paints

I decided to paint a portrait of St. Padre Pio
The first day I worked on the face. It is much easier to blend in oils than acrylics because they let you have a bit more time, unlike acrylics who dry out on you.

DAY 1

The second and third day I worked the background in and brushed in his mustache, t-shirt, and cloak.

DAY 2 & 3

And the third and fourth and ... all the other days I worked on it, I added more details including the hair and beard, also touched up some blending.

DAY 3 to Finish
God enriches the soul which empties itself of everything.
-Padre Pio

This piece probably took about 10 hours to complete ... maybe a little less. (I should have kept track.)

This is probably one of my better faces ... but I haven't really painted many faces, so I still need to practice. 

AND as always,

What Will I Do Next

We'll have to wait and see. I have no idea ... actually I do ... but am not 100% sure. I'll wait for  Inspiration to come along and say, 
"Oh. Joshua, why don't you paint that gunny sack?" or "You should draw that chair."
And I would answer Inspiration something like, "You're right Inspiration. You are always inspiring me. What would I do without you?"
And Inspiration would say, "You wouldn't be inspired without me."
And I would answer back, "You have a sense of humor Inspiration. I think you would get along well with Hope, and Patience - probably Perseverance as well, they are all pretty funny."
He would answer, "I can't wait to meet them!"
"I'll introduce them to you when they come home from work."

Thank you for reading this post. 🖌 Comment Below. ⬇️

"Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint". Arshile Gorky


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, Critique, or Criticize