Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Lily of the Mohawks

2 Years Ago...



Today marks 2 years since this blog was created, January 10th, 2020! It is the official Birthday of the blog, or as I like to call it, my Blogirthday of "Sketched Drawn & Painted." On my first post if you recall was the 18x24 inch drawing of the rosary and the bible.

Here is a snip of my all time stats of the blog. 4,017 views, 56 posts, and 67 comments.


And here is a graph of the all time views. It appears it just keeps dropping overtime! And the highest point is in January! The Blogirthday! Maybe everyone wants to celebrate the Blog's Birthday? I got it, they all want cake!


And here is 2023's projected growth!
___________________________________________________________________________________

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha 




I finished another saint for the series, this time Saint Kateri - she was baptized as Catherine. She was a Mohawk and the first Native American to be recognized as a saint, but as always, Miss K will tell you more about her on her blog, Today with Miss K.


This time I did another colored pencil drawing and filmed it as well. It was the first darker skinned drawing for me, so it took a little practice to get the right skin tone.


Here is the face, as you can see lots of reds and yellows went into this along with some browns to get a darker tone. It's not like they have a pencil for each skin tone...peach?


I guess I didn't take as many progress photos as I thought - but I do have a video of the drawing from start to end. The skin was the hardest part for me along with the face. The best part was the cloak she's wearing because it shaded very well with the yellows and browns.


And here is a view of the set up I had this time. I've experimented with a few different set ups. This time I used a mount from an older set up and wedged it up against a organizer shelf thingy...whatever you call those. I then used a book to stabilize the mount (the mount is the piece of wood) and then I strapped the camera to the end. It worked pretty well - next time I'll need to remember to put the mount on the other, left side so I have room to draw - I'm right handed so there wasn't a lot of room for my right hand when I got to the edge of the paper.


And here is the final. The only difference from the reference drawing is that there is no background and I also added a rosary in her hands. I used some Fine Touch bicolored colored pencils that I received from my person at Christmas to draw this - they worked well. Thanks person!

I hope you like my rendition of Saint Kateri. In total I recorded 7 hours of drawing, so plus or minus a few, I'd say plus because I had to sit there and think. Please watch the video below or visit the YouTube channel to see more of the videos like these.

Please go here to watch the video - https://youtu.be/w8DYZGokLks


Thanks for reading!


“I have abandoned this miserable body to hunger and any other misery so my soul could be content and have its usual nourishment.” – St Kateri Tekakwitha







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, Critique, or Criticize