Monday, April 20, 2020

St Camillus and St. Cecilia

The C's are up for show...


St Camillus & St Cecilia - I shouldn't tell to much of their history because I have teamed up with my sister, Today With Miss K. She will tell all about them. The link to the Gallery of Saints is here - Saints Gallery along with the biographies underneath each picture.

I really like Prismacolor


It's been good to me, allowing me to shade it and create compositions with it - thank you Prisma.

This Saint Camillus picture started with the face and then proceeded to the most difficult piece - the black cassock. Yes, very difficult because many colors are used to make black, not just the black or it will look too flat. I tried my best to include all the colors without segregating too many. It didn't blend the best, but it still turned out okay. The hands were also a bit tricky.

After the black came my favorite, the browns and yellows, (really, I know what you're thinking), they really let me shade them in a continuous flow of value. That can be seen in the cloth covering Jesus. The background took many layers to get a nice smooth even coat.

Here are some progress pictures:

Starting a face!
There's Esteban hard at work.



Yes, look at that shading on the blanket!

The Finished Piece

St Cecilia - The Patron of Music




St Cecilia's piece brought along many different challenges compared to St Camillus. First of all the hands ... they were difficult, like all hands, especially as they were grabbing the bow and the violin in odd positions (how do those violinists hold their bows like that?) And then of course there was the shading of the hand.

But there was something I hadn't suspected that happened as I was finishing up with the details that suddenly happened ... I never thought it would occur ... keep reading to find out.




The blue towel shaded very nicely along with the face.

There are the browns that I love shading with.


This is a comparison of the backgrounds. On the left is how it looked without a background, just the white paper. And on the right is the shaded purple background.

The finished piece.


The problem I didn't see coming was the purple pencil. As I was shading the background the pencil kept breaking inside the sharpener and I had about 10 percent left to shade. I could not sharpen it ... the lead kept breaking in the sharpener, so I used a piece of lead that fell off, and with my finger was able to color the rest in. The picture above shows the pencil that would not sharpen.

Where are the Biographies?

As soon as Miss K finishes them she will post them to her page and I will post the links in the Saint's gallery page. 3 done, 49 to go! Which letter should I do next? - Maybe 't' to finish up the t's?
Comment which piece you like the best.

Thank You for viewing these pictures!






1 comment:

  1. Both pieces are great, but I have to say St. Cecilia is my favorite one! I love how it looks with the purple background.

    ReplyDelete

Comment, Critique, or Criticize